Wednesday, January 6, 2010


I love Artichokes and two weeks ago I was looking for the baby artichokes, well couldn't find them. Yesterday I did find them and decided that today would be great day to cook them. I usually grill them but since it's cold outside I sauteed them. They are really easy to do, and nutrious also. Can't go wrong with this way of cooking them.

You will need:

-Small artichokes, they usualy come 8 in a package

-Garlic cloves, about 3 or so, you can use more

-Rosemary or fresh Thyme

-Extra virgin olive oil

-Black olives, I like gaeta, but you can also use calamata (you might want to pit them)

-1 pint of grape tomatoes, cut in half

-Brined capers, about 1 to 2 tablespoons

1. Heat a heavy bottom skillet heating up and add the oil and garlic over low heat with a pinch of salt.

2. Meanwhile, remove the hard leaves then cut off a bit off the top and trim the stem, then cut the artichoke in half.

3. Add the artichokes to the pan cut side down, once you have all the artichokes in the pan raise the heat to high to brown them.

4. Once they are browned, add the tomatoes with water(about a 1/2 cup), olives, capers and turn the artichokes over,cover the pan and let them simmer for about 20 minutes. You might want to check the pan to be sure the the water has not evaporated.

5. Once they are soft, remove and place into a platter and enjoy hot.

1 comment:

  1. this looks wonderful auntie! I always see the baby artichokes but never knew how to use them. I will have to try and make this (though Jeremy doesn't like olives so I might have to hide them!)

    ReplyDelete