Saturday, January 11, 2014

Prosciutto Wrapped Meatloaf

I enjoy making meatloaf especially in the winter.   I found this recipe on Donna Hay for mini meatloaf wrapped in Prosciutto, so thought it would be great to do on this rainy day.






Usually when I make meatloaf, I use my Dad's recipe which is with beef, breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, onion and garlic, however, when I saw these prosciutto wrapped meatloaf, I thought yum! 
So, I went to buy the meats.  I had the other ingredients.  Great day to make these, rainy and windy, so the oven sounded having the oven on sounds like a great idea.



So, started my miss en place cutting up my onion, garlic & parsley








Then, combined all the ingredients (except for the Prosciutto), mixed well and turned the oven on to 180C (350F).

Spray the mini loaf pans with non stick spray and put the prosciutto inside.  Then add the meatloaf mixture press down and lay prosciutto over the meat.

These then go into the oven for 20 minutes.

































Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion ( I only had red so that is what I used)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup (70grams) fresh breadcrumbs
1/4 cup (60 ml ) milk
1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
2 eggs
400g pork mince
400g veal mince
1/2 cup (70 g) chopped dried chorizo
sea salt and cracked black pepper
maple syrup

Preheat oven to 180 C (350F).  Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan over medium heat and add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.  Cool completely..  Line the mini greased loaf pan with 3 slices of prosciutto in each one.  Set these aside while you prepare the meat mixture.

Place the breadcrumbs and milk in a bowl and set aside for 5 minutes or until the milk is absorbed.  Add the onion mixture, parsley, eggs, pork, veal, chorizo, salt and pepper and mix well to combine.

Press the meatloaf mixture into the tins and press down, overlay with the prosciutto.  Place into the preheated oven for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and wait about 5 minutes before turning the meat out of the tin onto a sheet pan lined with oven (parchment) paper.  

Brush the meatloaf generously with maple syrup and place back into the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden.  Remove from the oven and let the meat rest about 15-20 minutes.




No comments:

Post a Comment