Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Smelts

Today is Ash Wednesday, so it's a fish day for me and I thought I would make smelts, yes, I am sure lot's of you are probably shaking your head and saying no.....but give them a chance, when fresh, they are delicious and easy to prepare. This is my Dad's recipe, and this is how he prepared them.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 lb (250g) fresh smelts
vegetable oil
cast iron pan

Preparation:
Mix the flour and cornmeal in equal amounts in one pan.
Prepare the eggwash with the eggs and milk
Heat the cast iron pan with enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom
Dredge the smelts in the egg wash then into the flour/cornmeal mixture, place into the hot oil and cook till brown on both sides.
Place on a plate with paper towel and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment